KBC - Creative and innovative since 1753
1753 (official founding year):
With the financial support of Peter Merian from Basel, Johann Friedrich Küpfer acquired the company in Lörrach, Germany leading it to prosperity.
After four years of shutdown, the brothers Merian from Basel and the entrepreneur Koechlin from Mulhouse buy the indienne printing plant. They start the production under the name “Großherzogliche Badische Zitz- und Cotton-Fabrik”. The Koechlins keep the company a family property until 1917.
The brothers Merian leave the company. “Nicolas Koechlin & Gebrüder” whose headquarters are established in Mulhouse, France.
The German-French company is divided into three independent parts. Peter and Eduard Koechlin managed the company based in Lörrach.
The indienne printing plant is now called “Peter Koechlin & Söhne”.
Chemist and businessman Léon Baumgartner joins the company as next managing director.
The company changes its name from “Peter Koechlin & Söhne” to “Koechlin, Baumgartner & Cie.”, registered as limited partnership.
1876 – 1892:
As chief-chemist Horace Koechlin propels the company to the top of the international printing plants focusing on the key elements of design originality and quality fabrics.
The private enterprise is transformed into the “Koechlin, Baumgartner & Cie. Plc.”. However, KBC still remains the property of the Koechlin family. The company name is still used today only the legal form has changed from Plc. to Ltd.